Too many people say, “Why should I bother to affiliate with any political party? They’re all the same.” This statement is woefully inaccurate. There are differences between the political parties; some differences are small, but some are huge. Political parties are formed when politically like-minded people flock together. There are various parties because people have varied political opinions.
Following are links to platform documents that will help explain the principles and tenets of the Republican Party (defined both nationally and locally). If many of these principles resonate with your own political beliefs, we invite you to join us!
“REPUBLICAN FOR A REASON”
Excerpts from the 2007 Utah Republican Party Platform
The Declaration of Independence says, “We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. –”
These God given rights are sacred and precious to Republicans. The United States Constitution and Bill of Rights give us further direction with words of wisdom like, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof” and “the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed”. Governmnent must protect the rights articulated in these texts.
The platform of the Republican Party helps us understand our mission to protect these timeless, traditional values for our families, or children and our posterity.
- We value the infinite worth of a human being.
- We recognize the traditional family as the fundamental unit of society and that parents have the responsibility to direct the upbringing of their children.
- We fight for the life of the unborn and oppose abortion except to preserve the life of the mother or in cases of rape or incest.
- We believe in God and that government must be based on a moral foundation with honesty, integrity, morality and accountability.
- We are a law abiding Party and support the rule of law.
- We unabashedly support our military, honor their sacrifice and commit ourselves to do our part to protect the freedoms they protect.
- We affirm the right to individual religious expression, including prayer, in public and in private.
- We encourage free enterprise, private initiative and volunteerism.
- We support the right of individuals to own and use property.
- We encourage individuals, families and charitable organizations to help the needy, but support a government safety net if all else fails.
- We want welfare recipients to work towards self-sufficiency.
- We are committed to all children having access to quality education.
- We support parents’ rights to choose public, private or home education
- We support incentives to promote competitive excellence in education.
- We accept the need for limited taxation in order for government to perform and administer essential public services.
- We advocate broad based tax rate reduction where possible.
- We encourage reliance more on market forces and less on government.
- Our environment, air, water and land are at the heart of our existence and must be protected through balanced management.
Join with the Republican Party as we promote and defend these principles and values.